NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre threw his support behind a boycott of Fox News after the departure of prominent anchor Tucker Carlson.
The 53-year-old legend tweeted, “I’m with Tucker. Time to boycott Fox until they come to their senses and let the man speak.” The social media posting ended with images of Carlson and stated: “Show Tucker you stand with him. Stand with Tucker. Boycott Fox News.”
I’m with Tucker. Time to boycott Fox until they come to their senses and let the man speak. pic.twitter.com/dvrNlLdvgW
— Brett Favre (@BrettFavre) May 8, 2023
In between, Favre added a video of SiriusXM host Megyn Kelly criticizing the separation between the network and its highest-rated mouthpiece.
Kelly asked why Fox News and Carlson do not have a deal. She answered her own question by noting that “he needs to be silenced while Fox tries to rebuild that disappearing audience.”
The former network anchor told listeners that “they are banking on you coming back to them. They got a debate in August. You can’t resist. You’ll go. You’ll forgive everything. They’re banking on it.”
Carlson had hosted the immensely popular “Tucker Carlson Tonight” since 2016, but apparently, there were growing divisions between the host and network management. Some attempted to claim that a text message from 2021 may have led to his departure.
It is said that the outspoken host was dismissed due to evidence presented during the Dominion defamation suit that was settled last month. There have also been releases of videos shot behind the scenes in which Carlson is making jokes or trading insults.
Still, others asserted that, at least according to a lawsuit by a former staff member, that Carlson oversaw a misogynistic workplace. The official reason, however, has not been revealed either by the former host or the network.
Carlson has only released a video vaguely stating that he will be back. Meanwhile, Fox’s board reportedly hired an outside law firm to probe Carlson’s actions while he was a network host.
Whatever the reasoning, Fox News is noticeably struggling. After years of handily beating its competition into submission, the conservative network has had instances since Carlson’s departure of time slots losing the rating race to MSNBC programming.
CNN is still a far distant third.