Illegal aliens turned out by the thousands on Tuesday in New York City to shut down two major bridges to support their demands that the government pay an additional $3 billion into an unemployment benefit fund for illegals. The group was able to close off traffic from the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge.
The protestors were assembled to call on Democratic Governor Kathy Hochul to allocate the additional taxpayer funding to the “Excluded Workers Fund.” That fund was created with $2.1 billion for unemployment benefits exclusively for illegal immigrants allegedly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The original fund has been depleted through payments of the maximum benefit of $15,600 to around 130,000 illegal alien applicants. Activist Diana Moreno said illicit immigrants “lost everything during the pandemic” and the money paid through the fund helps them “get back on their feet.” She added that she believed the protests were needed because “thousands upon thousands” did not get in on the fund.
New York City Council member Carmen De La Rosa said that the city has funding available to satisfy the demands of the illegals. She said a “windfall” from federal COVID relief funds, so she “knows there is revenue.”
One illegal alien protest told reporters through a translator that the fund ran out of money before she could apply and that she had been forced to seek assistance from local food pantries.
The governor’s office issued a statement saying Hochul has already proposed billions in benefits in her most recent budget. The statement added that the amounts distributed already through the Excluded Workers Fund “far surpasses that of any other state” and said the governor is seeking the best way to “invest” another $2 billion in pandemic recovery programs.
The protest also called for the unemployment benefits for illegal aliens in New York to be made permanent. Democratic lawmakers in California are currently working on a similar measure to benefit illegal aliens in their state.