A 10-month-old baby boy was sent to the hospital after becoming unresponsive at Moscone Recreational Park in San Francisco. His parents, Ivan and Kerina Matkovic, said their son Senna was saved from an overdose just in the nick of time. Senna was taken to the park by his nanny, Wendy Marroqui, and after some time had passed, she noticed something was wrong with him.
Morroqui said the baby appeared to be suddenly losing consciousness. She shook him to see if he would wake up, but she could see that he looked like he wasn’t breathing. Morroqui said that when his lips started to turn blue, she immediately called 911 and applied CPR.
Firefighters and EMTs came to the scene quickly and treated the child. Mr. Matkovic arrived as the paramedics administered Narcan and emergency treatment for drug overdoses. “Those first responders just saved my son’s life,” he said emotionally.
Democrats' position on a 10 month old baby nearly dying of fentanyl he picked up in a San Francisco park is that it's the parents' fault for not anticipating that there would be fentanyl lying around in a kids playground.
Honestly what is WRONG with these people?
— steve hilton (@SteveHiltonx) December 1, 2022
The baby was sent to the emergency room, where the family was told he had ingested fentanyl. Although the incident occurred at 2:30 pm, officers arrived at the hospital at 10:16 pm and met with witnesses to the emergency. Mr. Matkovic took to social media to alert other parents that the park next to Marina Middle School is where his baby ingested the lethal substance and to be safe with their children should they visit that park.
San Francisco has not been able to get the fentanyl problem under control for a while now. The open-air drug market is thriving in the bay area. Fentanyl is cut into everything and can be hidden anywhere. Last year, there were neighborhood fences where dealers hid fentanyl for profit. The fentanyl problem may become more widespread in the city beyond the limits of neighborhoods like Tenderloin.
Law enforcement officials have been blaming the epidemic on Covid. They say that had the streets not been emptied during Covid, the open-air market could have never formed this quickly in the city. But fentanyl has been a growing problem nationwide, starting on the east coast, so it’s unlikely that Covid is the real culprit.